Sunday, May 06, 2007

Jen just got home from a trip to Atlanta last night. Of course I was excited to see her, but I was also excited because she had taken our mailbox key with her, and I don't have a copy. Ordinarily I can do without seeing bills and charitable solicitations for a few days, but the mailbox also held the July issue of Reptiles Magazine (why they publish the July issue in May I don't understand).
If you happen to get Reptiles Magazine, check out my 'Into the Wild' piece on catching brown snakes (Storeria d. dekayi) around West Philly. It's nothing new if you've been reading this blog, but it's exciting to get something published (and get paid for it! - not much, but it's still nice), and I'm happy they ran something on herping in an urban setting.

I'm also happy with the edit. They did drop the "W" in West Philly to a lowercase "w," but I guess such errors are to be expected from people out in California.

If you don't get Reptiles, good luck trying to find a copy. Sometimes you can find it in the larger bookstores out there, but not many carry it, and the best place to find it for sale is your local herp show/expo.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi i live in southern Michigan. I was wondering if you can give me some tips for herping this summer.
i've already foung a few salamanders and seen 2 snakes, but its getting warmer. im expecting a great year becuase of all the flooding of swamps in the woods.

My blog is www.fritzelspets.blogspot.com

It has not been updated in about a month. i will update it very soon.

it is just a little blog about my pets. leave me some tips on any post
thanks!

Anonymous said...

i got the magizine. i had no clue it was u though till now. sweet

www.fritzelspets.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hi again, i live about 1 hour south of kalamazoo. the bottom left part of michigan. i've started a blog about my trip tp florida north of the evrglades.

www.floridaherping.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

My name is John, I am a teacher here in Philadelphia and have worked a lot with reptiles.

Last year a worker at our school brought in two brown snakes they found in their yard here on Philadelphia and gave them to me (They were no interested in having them live in their yard). So I set them up in a tank for awhile and fed them slugs and worms to the amusement of the students. In a year I noticed a whole bunch of tiny size wriggles crawling through the substrate!

I let them all go on our campus where they could find lots of good cover and food.

I have been a fan of these little guys ever since and I was ecstatic to see an article about them right in the city I live in!!!

Great job!
John Romano

jromano@girardcollege.com

Anonymous said...

sorry, the website for herping in flrida is www.herpingflorida.blogspot.com